Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Sea Otter, I salute you.

Because you're what I would be if I lived in the Pacific. Because your forepaw claws are retractable, and because you crack open sea urchins with visible relish. Because you like to float on your back above the kelp beds, and because you used to lazily roll over and watch me during my childhood kayaks on Monterey Bay. Because you use skin oil to keep your pelt sleek and waterproof, and because you consume enviable amounts of abalone and mussels in one sitting/floating, and because, like a waterborne chimpanzee, you use tools for that shellfish feeding frenzy. Because when everyone thought you were extinct, you were actually unwinding in an Arcadian colony in Big Sur. Sea Otter, I salute you!

1 comment:

  1. I salute too! This is excellent. They are adorable. Reminds me of my dad (recent email will explain further). The Pacific and westside miss you. Happy Fourth of July!

    ReplyDelete